Conveniently located to serve Newport Beach & all areas of Orange County
Chemical peels are one of the most reliable facial rejuvenation treatments available. Dr. Sundine offers a range of chemical peels to improve the texture of your skin and ameliorate certain skin conditions. In fact, to keep your face looking fresh and healthy, you are advised to receive chemical peels on a regular basis, as determined by you and Dr. Sundine based on your lifestyle, skin quality and age.
To learn more about chemical peels, please read the paragraphs below. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Sundine, please contact his office at 949 706 3100.
Who Is a Candidate for a Chemical Peel?
Most people who do not suffer from complex skin problems and medical conditions are good candidates for a chemical peel. In fact, if you have any of the skin problems listed below you are an excellent candidate for a chemical peel.
- Fine lines
- Mild scarring
- Sun spots, age spots, liver spots and freckles
- Poor skin texture and uneven color
Please keep in mind that a chemical peel cannot restore volume to the face, tighten loose skin or fill in hollow cheeks.
Chemical Peels in Newport Beach
The chemical peel procedure generally lasts about 20 to 30 minutes. It is administered by a licensed esthetician at Dr. Sundine’s Newport Beach plastic surgery practice. First, the skin is cleaned and topical anesthesia may be applied. The latter depends on the strength of the peel; most peels do not require the use of topical anesthesia. The chemical solution is then applied to the face for about 10 minutes. During this time, you will feel mild stinging and warming of the skin. Once the chemical solution has been removed you will be given post-treatment instructions and will be free to go home.
Your Chemical Peel will be administered at Dr. Michael Sundine’s office located in Newport Beach and Beverly Hills
Recovering from Chemical Peel
Once you arrive home, your face will feel tight and mildly red. However, you may not start peeling until day two or day three after your treatment. Once you begin peeling, you will want to stay home for a few days. The peeling of the outermost layers of skin is not painful unless you pull on it, which you will be asked not to do. You will need to stay out of the sun and moisturize as instructed by the esthetician. The peeling process does not last more than one week, after which you will have baby skin that will look and feel very healthy. It is very important that you protect this skin with sunscreen.
The results of a chemical peel are very rewarding, as this treatment will remove all of the dead cells and upper layer of damaged and worn out skin. Our esthetician will see you for a follow-up visit to make sure your skin is looking good and that you are not developing any scarring or other complications.
Chemical Peel After Care Instructions
If you have a history of cold sores, please let Dr. Sundine know so he can prescribe Valtrex for you pre and postoperatively.
- Most of your discomfort will be within the first 4-8 hours after the peel, while most of your swelling will be in the first 3-5 days.
- Bacitracin ointment of Elta Lite cream is to be applied very lightly to the area 2 times daily for the first 2 days only.
- On the third day you may cleanse your face lightly with tepid water and pat dry. Do not apply any more moisturizersat this time to allow for the peeling to begin.
- Apply Vaseline to lips only, frequently throughout the day.
- Do not apply cold cloths or ice packs to face.
- Your first follow-up visit will be approximately 3-5 days after the peel. Do not hesitate to call if you have any questions or problems before then.
- Avoid the use of extreme facial expressions.
- Sleep on back avoiding your face contacting bedding.
- Do not allow water or shampoo to contact treated area.
- Do not remove flaked skin by pulling, picking, or rubbing. This can cause hyperpigmentation, scarring, and other complications.
- Most crusting and peeling occurs within 5-7 days after the peel.
- You may apply a gentle cleanser. Gently cleanse using only fingertips in a circular motion and rinse with tepid watertwice daily, morning and night.
- You may apply Elta Lite to the areas that have peeled, very sparingly, twice daily after splashing with tepid water and allowing your face to dry.
- Hypoallergenic moisturizers and cosmetics may be applied after healing is complete, about 7-10 days after the peel.
- Normal skin care routines may be resumed after recommendations by your physician or aesthetician.
The skin of your face is sensitive to sunlight. Try and avoid time spent in the sun as much as possible for the first 7-10 days. Protect your facial skin from sun by wearing a wide brim hat and apply sun block SPF 30 or greater, one that has both UVA and UVB sun block protection.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL DR SUNDINE
During the hours of 8:30 AM-5:00 PM, please call the office at 949-706-3100. If you need immediate care, please call Dr. Sundine anytime on his cell phone (949-677-5845). There is no such thing as a minor question. I would rather you call me than wonder and not do the right thing, so please call my office or e-mail me any time.
Dr. Sundine’s Office: 949-706-3100
Dr. Sundine’s Cell Phone: 949-677-5845 Dr. Sundine’s e-mail: [email protected]