Fractional Laser Resurfacing
Conveniently located to serve Newport Beach & all areas of Orange County
Fractional CO2 laser treatments are a common procedure for Newport Beach cosmetic surgeon Dr. Sundine.He uses the most advanced technologies to improve wrinkles and skin texture, to shrink large pores, and to treat acne scars, age spots, stretch marks and other vascular conditions. If you have various skin problems and wish to improve the look and feel of your skin, be sure to ask Dr. Sundine about laser skin resurfacing.
The Fractional CO2 laser is a skin rejuvenation laser that make it possible for you to have healthy, younger looking skin with minimal post treatment down time. A single treatment can show significant improvement in skin texture and color while softening wrinkles.
Who Is a Candidate for Laser Skin Resurfacing?
If you have certain skin problems, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure, as long as you are not prone to scarring. Prior to administering treatment, Dr. Sundine will take a close look at your concerns and evaluate the quality of your skin. If you have sensitive skin, be sure to disclose this information; also tell Dr. Sundine about any other health problems you have.
Laser Skin Resurfacing in Newport Beach
Laser skin resurfacing is performed at Dr. Sundine’s practice with a state-of-the-art laser that was designed just for this purpose. In order to ensure your comfort, Dr. Sundine will apply topical anesthesia on your face. During treatment, the targeted tissue absorbs specific wavelengths of laser light, which removes the damaged tissue and stimulates healthy tissue underneath. In many cases, laser skin resurfacing stimulates collagen production in the body, in turn leading to the formation of healthy skin cells.
How Fractional Co2 laser treatment work
The laser delivers a therapeutic matrix of tiny beams of light energy to the topa and mid layers of the skin with minimal discomfort.
This results in:
- Immediate shrinkage of damaged skin
- Softening of fine lines and wrinkles
- Removal of age and sun spots
- New collagen production for up to six months following treatment
Fractional means that only a fraction of the skin surface is exposed to the laser beam, leaving untreated akin around each treated micro spot. This promotes fast natural healing and a short recovery time. The beneficial effects of the laser beam expands under the skin surface to stimulate new collagen production across the entire area.
Planning for your laser treatment
Please call the office to schedule your complimentary initial consultation with Dr. Sundine: 949 706 3100
Prior to your treatment: Dr. Sundine will discuss which areas of your skin will benefit from the Fractional CO2 Laser treatments as well as the results you can expect. In most cases, laser treatments can be safely performed on the face, neck, chest and hands. Usually, a single treatment produces satisfying results. If desired, additional treatments can be scheduled 8 weeks after the first.
The treatment is done in the comfort of Dr. Sundines’ office. The areas to be treated are thoroughly washed and the skin is dried prior to treatment. Although most patients do not require a topical anesthetic, Dr. Sundine will determine what is best for you and your treatment. During treatment you will feel a warm sensation on the skin. This is to be expected. Treatment time for a full face is approximately 30 minutes.
Your Laser Skin Resurfacing will be administered at Dr. Michael Sundine’s office located in Newport Beach
You will have a slight burning sensation similar to sunburn, which lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. Your skin will show a fine pinpoint like pattern as a result of the therapeutic beams.
The fine pinpoint pattern will begin to disappear and the skin will have a tanned look. At this stage, makeup can be applies. Most patients return to their normal daily routine.
The top layer of skin will begin to peel during normal washing, revealing new rejuvenated skin with improved color and texture.
The peel will be complete in most cases. Avoid prolonged sun exposure for at least 3 months. Apply a moisturizing SPF 30 sun block every day.
You will see continued reduction of fine lines and wrinkles over the next 6 months as new collagen is produced.
Dr. Sundine will discuss with you other skin care protocols that best suit your needs.
Dr. Michael Sundine is a board certified plastic surgeon offering advanced aesthetic procedures for the skin, face, body and breasts. In addition to offering non-surgical enhancements such as Botox, he performs comprehensive procedures such as facelift and eyelid surgery in Orange County. Other popular procedures at his practice include breast augmentation, tummy tuck and liposuction in Newport Beach.
Laser Skin Resurfacing After Care Instructions
- Two days before your treatment begin Valtrex 500 mg, two times daily. The purpose of this medication is to decrease your risk of developing shingles or herpes zoster after your laser treatment. This complication is painful and causes the highest risk of scarring, therefore, Valtrex is mandatory. You will continue this medication for 5 days following the procedure.
- Other medications prescribed are as follows:
Keflex is an antibiotic to reduce your risk of infection after the procedure. Vicodin/Lortab is a pain medication to control any discomfort. Take these medications with food or milk to avoid nausea and/or vomiting.
After Care Instructions
- You will experience a burning sensation on the skin that will last between 30 minutes and 3 hours on up to the first day.
- You will want to take several days off of work. Treatment to the facial area will result in an appearance similar to a darker tan/sunburn for the first day. A fine scab will be formed by the skin. Do not be concerned, this promotes the healing process.
- After 1-2 days the eschar/necrotic skin will disappear and the skin will have a tanned look. Redness may persist up to 3 days. On day 4-5 your face will get darker and then near the 5th day the skin will start to peel. More intense treatments can take up to 7 days for recover.
- Wash your face using a mild soap like Purpose, Neutrogena, or a soap-free cleanser like Cetaphil.
- Wash the treated area everyday and apply Aquaphor Ointment to the treated sites and lips 4 times a day. Avoid hotwater.
- For the eye area: Treatment to the eyelids may result in swelling and create a slight squint. Redness may persist up to 3 days. Cleanse your eyes with cool water and dab or pat lightly with a towel. Avoid hot water. Lubricating eye drops (i.e. Artificial tears) will help to decrease dryness of your eyes. Ice packs may give some comfort and swelling around your eyes.
- If the skin around the mouth is tight minimize extreme facial expressions and use a straw to drink.
- Rest. Avoid strenuous exercise, bending, straining, stooping, or lifting heavy objects for 1 week after the procedure.These activities may cause more swelling and pain on your face and slow down your recovery.
- Sleep with your head elevated on two pillows for one week after the procedure.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least six months. A sunscreen SPF 15 or higher should be applied every day. Use a hat and sunglasses. Your skin is extremely vulnerable to the sun after having laser treatment. Protecting your skin and limiting sun exposure ensures the best cosmetic results.
- At the time of scheduling the laser procedure, please schedule your follow-up appointment for 2 days after the procedure.
- You may take Benadryl 25 mg tablets as needed every 6 hours for intolerable itching. Be careful because the Benadryl will cause sedation
- Your skin should be healed 7-10 days following the procedure. At this point you may use Oxygenetix make up, which is safe for resurfaced skin. For the first 4-6 weeks following the resurfacing, your skin will be red and gradually diminish to a light pink color. You can apply a green cover-up make-up followed by a base make-up to camouflage the redness. Most patients can return to work or activities by 10-14 days after the resurfacing procedure without any difficulty.
- It is important to be seen by Dr. Sundine after your initial post-op checks. He will see you in follow-up appointments at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 6 months, and 1 year post-op. Call to schedule your appointments at 949-706-3100.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL DR SUNDINE
During the hours of 8:30 AM-5:00 PM, please call the office at 949-706-3100. If you need immediate care, please call Dr. Sundine anytime on his cell phone (949-677-5845). There is no such thing as a minor question. I would rather you call me than wonder and not do the right thing, so please call my office or e-mail me any time.
Dr. Sundine’s Office: 949-706-3100
Dr. Sundine’s Cell Phone: 949-677-5845 Dr. Sundine’s e-mail: [email protected]