Pre-Op & Post-Op Instructions
- Start Valtrex 500 mg, two times daily, starting one day prior to surgery. The purpose of this medication is to decrease your risk of developing shingles or herpes zoster after your laser treatment. This complication is painful and causes the highest risk of scarring, therefore, Valtrex is mandatory. You will continue this medication for 5 days following the procedure.
- DO NOT take aspirin or ibuprofen products (ie. Bufferin, Anacin, Advil, Motrin, Anacin-free, Excedrin), 2 weeks prior or 2 weeks post-surgery. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is okay.
- DO NOT SMOKE! Smoking can cause poor wound healing and may result in bad scarring.
- Other medications prescribed are as follows: Keflex is an antibiotic to reduce your risk of infection after the procedure. Vicodin/Lortab is a pain medication to control any discomfort. Take these medications with food or milk to avoid nausea and/or vomiting.
After Care Instructions
- Rest quietly for the remainder of your surgery day. The next day you can perform routine activities. No strenuous exercise for 2 weeks.
- Sleep on your back with the head elevated using a pillow for 1-2 weeks.
- No bending over, lifting, or straining for 3-4 days.
- Eat foods that are soft and require minimal chewing for 3-4 days. Do not chew gum, salads, or tough meats. No hot or salty foods or fluids for 48 hours.
- NO SMOKING for at least two weeks after surgery. Smoking will inhibit your healing process.
AVOID opening mouth more than 1 inch wide to prevent incision separation (opening).
- Use a small child’s toothbrush to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth after meals.
Clean incisions at the corner of the mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide ( 1⁄4 hydrogen peroxide, 3⁄4 water) then apply an antibiotic ointment (Neosporin, Polysporin) 3 times per day for 2 weeks.
- Take the antiviral prescription and antibiotics until finished.
- Use cool compresses for 24-48 hours to reduce swelling. NO DIRECT ICE.
- Keep lips moisturized for 2-3 weeks with Vaseline, Carmex, or a similar product.
- Do no massage your lips.
1 Week Post Surgery Appointment
Gently verify that the implant remains centered / top and bottom.
2 Week Post Surgery Appointment
- Discuss stretching exercises: should be performed 2-3 times a day / 10-15 times each for 2-3 months to help alleviate excessive scar tissue formation.
- Stretching exercises are to be started when sutures are gone and incisions have healed (usually by 2 1⁄2 -3 weeks Post-op)
- Exercises of stretching will include:
- Opening mouth widely then back to a closed position.
- Excessive smiling (pulling lips tightly against teeth) then back to a closed position.
*Any tightness that you might experience will start to dissipate once you begin these exercises. Continue these stretching exercises for 2-3 months even if you are not experiencing any tightness.
*Please do not massage your lips.