Conveniently located to serve Newport Beach & all areas of Orange County
Dr. Sundine’s extensive background in facial aesthetics and reconstruction is vital to his success when performing lip augmentation with the SurgiSil Lip Implant. This procedure can be performed in a simple office setting under local anesthesia. The entire process can take less than 30 minutes, and normal activity may be resumed the following day.
Please call the office for more information: 949 706 3100
Newport Beach facelift surgeon Dr. Michael J. Sundine is proud to offer a variety of facial aesthetic procedures. In addition to performing lip augmentation, he is a well-known chin augmentation, brow lift and rhinoplasty Newport Beach surgeon. Over the years he has also helped many Orange county eyelid surgery patients look more youthful.
Lip Augmentation After Care Instructions
- Start Valtrex 500 mg, two times daily, starting one day prior to surgery. The purpose of this medication is to decrease your risk of developing shingles or herpes zoster after your laser treatment. This complication is painful and causes the highest risk of scarring, therefore, Valtrex is mandatory. You will continue this medication for 5 days following the procedure.
- DO NOT take aspirin or ibuprofen products (ie. Bufferin, Anacin, Advil, Motrin, Anacin-free, Excedrin), 2 weeks prior or 2 weeks post surgery. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is okay.
- DO NOT SMOKE! Smoking can cause poor wound healing and my result in bad scarring.
- Other medications prescribed are as follows:Keflex is an antibiotic to reduce your risk of infection after the procedure. Vicodin/Lortab is a pain medication to control any discomfort. Take these medications with food or milk to avoid nausea and/or vomiting.
After Care Instructions
- Rest quietly the remainder of your surgery day. The next day you can perform routine activities. No strenuous exercise for 2 weeks.
- Sleep on your back with head elevated using 3-4 pillow for 1-2 weeks.
- No bending over, lifting, or straining for 3-4 days.
- Eat foods that are soft and require minimal chewing for 3-4 days. Do not chew gum, salads, or tough meats. No hot or salty foods or fluids for 48 hours.
- NO SMOKING for at least two weeks after surgery. Smoking will inhibit your healing process.
- AVOID opening mouth more than 1 inch wide to prevent incision separation (opening).
- Use a small child’s toothbrush to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth after meals.
- Clean incisions at corner of mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide ( 1⁄4 hydrogen peroxide, 3⁄4 water) then apply antibiotic ointment (Neosporin, Polysporin) 3 times per day for 2 weeks.
- Take the antiviral prescription and antibiotics until finished.
- Use cool compresses for 24-48 hours to reduce swelling. NO DIRECT ICE.
- Keep lips moisturized for 2-3 weeks with Vaseline, Carmex, or a similar product.
- Do no massage your lips.
1 Week Post Surgery Appointment
- Gently verify that the implant remains centered / top and bottom.
2 Week Post Surgery Appointment
Discuss stretching exercises: should be performed 2-3 times a day / 10-15 times each for 2-3 month to help alleviate excessive scar tissue formation.
- Stretching exercises are to be started when sutures are gone and incisions have healed (usually by 2 1⁄2 -3 weeks Post-op)
- Exercises of stretching will include:
1. Opening mouth widely then back to a closed position.
2. Excessive smiling (pulling lips tightly against teeth) then back to a closed position.
Any tightness that you might experience will start to dissipate once you begin these exercises. Continue these stretching exercises for 2-3 months even if you are not experiencing any tightness.
*Please do not massage your lips.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CALL DR SUNDINE
During the hours of 8:30 AM-5:00 PM, please call the office at 949-706-3100. If you need immediate care, please call Dr. Sundine anytime on his cell phone (949-677-5845). There is no such thing as a minor question. I would rather you call me than wonder and not do the right thing, so please call my office or e-mail me any time.
Dr. Sundine’s Office: 949-706-3100
Dr. Sundine’s Cell Phone: 949-677-5845 Dr. Sundine’s e-mail: [email protected]