- No food or liquids after midnight on the night before surgery.
- Do not take aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn, fish oil, dietary supplements, gingko biloba, bromelain, or any products containing these substances for two weeks before the surgery (see list). Please forward any ingredient list of things you may want to take, so Dr. Sundine can review them beforehand. Often these supplements may lead to bleeding problems.
- Some people believe Arnica products may inhibit bruising. It remains unknown if these are helpful but they are permitted.
- You may take Tylenol products for everyday aches and pains.
- For two days prior to the surgery, shower and thoroughly wash with Dial soap over the areas of the planned surgical sites.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing that is easy to get in and out of on the day of your surgery. Please make sure to wear a top that buttons down all the way, or zips up the front, to avoid pulling a shirt over your head. You will also want to bring a pair of warm socks.
- On the day of your surgery, you must come accompanied by a person who will be able to drive you home or to where you will be staying postoperatively.
Medications for surgery:
- Gabapentin-600 mg three times daily, begin the night before surgery and continue for 5 days
- Lorazepam-1 mg, take 1 hour prior to surgery
- Keflex (unless allergic)-500 mg 1 hour prior to surgery and continue every 6 hours for 5 days
- Norco (325mg/5 mg)-1 tablet 1 hour prior to surgery and as needed for pain
- Zofran ODT-1 tablet under the tongue every 8 hours as needed for nausea or vomiting
- Bactroban Cream-Apply to incisions and nostrils daily for 7 days
When sleeping or lying down, make sure you are positioned at a minimum incline of 45 degrees. Utilize this rule for your first 10 days of recovery. Using a couple of pillows or recliners works just fine.
Keep on at all times for 3 days. You will receive a chin strap during your 1-day post-op appointment (make sure to put on extra support straps to the front and back of your head when sleeping).
Keep on for 10 days while reading/watching TV/working on the computer/looking down at the phone. In any instance where your head would be in a declined angle, you must wear the brace.
Secure neck brace every night before sleeping (to keep head in the neutral position at all times).
Ice the procedure area using frozen peas for 20 minutes every hour while awake. Take all dressings off during icing (chin strap and neck brace).
From day one you may shower, but only using mild soaps or baby shampoo (make sure water is not directly streaming on your face, shower with your back facing the shower head). Do not shave for 10 days post-surgery. Hair trimming/hair clipping is acceptable.
Bactroban Ointment for antibacterial care-
Place inside each nostril once a day with Q-tip for the next 7 days. Place a thin layer once a day on all incisions (excluding eyes) for the next 7 days.